On entering the Mansion House, you are greeted with the sight of a grand, imperial staircase. The first flight of stairs reaches a landing and divides into two flights before reaching the first floor. The staircase is flanked by Ionic columns, in contrast with the columns on the first or principal floor, which have the more elaborate Corinthian capitals.
In Paine’s original design, the staircase was at the rear of the building, and directly above it was a Venetian window, complementary to the window at the front of the house. It was not until 1864 that the window was removed and the gallery was built behind to improve access to the rooms on the first floor. The wall below two statues of pageboys was originally the external wall of the Mansion House.
The holding lamps first appear in the inventory for 1865 but, their origin is unknown at present. On the landing, displayed in a case, is the grant of arms dated 1 September 1975 made by the Garter Principal King of Arms to the new Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster after its creation on 1 April 1974.